It’s been a really busy week and I had not much time to post anything new. As I’ve recently started using social bookmarking sites again (mostly to investigate certain technological solutions), I’ve decided to take the biggest ones under scope and look at their audience. This week it’s StumbleUpon vs Digg, and a bit of Reddit and other sites competing in the area of social bookmarking.
Started by Kevin Rose in 2004, Digg has been the most popular social bookmarking for years. It all changed in August 2010 when the new controversial layout was released. The company will probably be presented in the future as textbook example of “Why every business should listen to it’s customers (users)?”. Followed by controversy over “sponsored articles” on Digg, it seems it’s, unfortunately, a matter of time till Digg fades. Although, I have a lot against TechCrunch recently, I agree with Sarah Lacy’s article titled “RIP Digg“. It’s time for competition to take over their traffic and they haven’t been wasting their time steadily growing in audience. Let’s take a look at statistics.
Stumbleupon vs Digg vs Reddit – Comscore Statistics
- Digg is currently at 7,867,000* Total Unique Visitors with -56.9% yearly growth.
- StumbleUpon with it’s massive growth between January and March 2011 has now 9,642,000 Total Unique Visitors with an impressive +424.8% yearly change.
- Reddit has 3,025,000 Total Unique Visitors and -9.3% yearly change. It’s important to note that, although on third position, Reddit is the only site that has noted steady growth in the last six months. Another interesting fact is the user engagement. Reddit has 4 times more page views with two times less unique visitors on their site than Digg.
- Newsvine has 3,025,000 Total Unique Visitors and is also on decline with -39.9% yearly growth. Newsvine is the only (of 5 mentioned in this post) social bookmarking site with more female users.
- Mixx has been taken down recently after being acquired by UberMedia in January 2011. Unlike their competition, Mixx had fairly stable number of visitors. I am wondering what is going on with Mixx as the site was supposed to relaunch one month after acquisition. It’s been over half year now and still no news from real-time information giant.